Search This Blog

Friday, May 27, 2011

Week 8- Michael J Harrington

Effects of health over Culture

Health varies widely between races, one example of which is African Americans being at risk for sickle cell disease while Caucasians are not.  As a human being I've had my fair share share of sickness and such, mostly colds, or the flu, or the odd episode of chicken pox.  But I've always had access to health care.  If I needed to see a doctor then I saw a doctor, if I needed medicine I got it, if I had a cavity, then I got it filled.  There were hardly ever time when I went without what I needed, medically speaking.  All my family normally had the things that they needed.

This is a Sick Person

But some immigrants don't have the right medical treatment to survive or adequately live.  This is a severe problem, but one that is highly misdiagnosed in my opinion.  I believe that this problem is not because they are immigrants, but instead because many of the immigrants are poor.  This is a problem about poverty, not concerning strictly immigrants.  We have an issue in America with health care, and there is a large debate going on as we speak with whether or not our country should implement universal health care or try something else, but  this debate is too large and cumbersome to discuss here.  Instead I'd like to point out that there is an issue, and immigrants are caught up in the midst of it.  I don't think that the system of healthcare that is now being put into place is going to be effective or the answer that the politicians pushing it are looking for, but instead will put more strain on the system.  Neither of my immigrants commented on healthcare or not being able to see a doctor, so I do not know their perspective.

This Represents Adequate Medical Care

No comments:

Post a Comment