Search This Blog

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Week 10-Summary Maureen Rooney

I have learned many things from taking and actively participating in this spring class. One of the most important things I have learned from the readings is the concept of having cultural competence. It is said that “to be successful in intercultural interactions, one must have (1) awareness of ones own assumptions, values and biases; (2) an understanding of the world view of culturally different people; and (3) appropriate strategies and techniques to use during the interaction (Vaughn, 103). The readings and class have taught me that there is no ending point to education. Myself, and everyone else, are always presented with opportunities to learn and grow. I believe that we need to take the opportunities and “run with them,” not avoid them.
An opportunity that is presented to many Americans is a chance to learn about another country from people who once lived in that country. Immigrants are frequent in today’s society due to large-scale immigrations. Instead of avoiding the immigrants, I have learned that we can welcome and learn from them. They can educate us more than just adding a different spice to an ethnic dish but by giving us knowledge from their past way of living. They are full of information which can make us more aware about societies other than our own.
Most immigrants have most likely have undergone a quite traumatic experience. I have learned that many immigrants are in need of a friend or a social connection as they adapt to their new surroundings. It is a difficult experience and having the support of a friend can make the transition easier.  
Also, I have learned that one’s race or country does not define who the person. The person is an individual, separate from their country. Their homeland may contribute to their identity but it is not their only identity. Immigrants are like every other American; they follow different religions, are attracted to different television shows and can have extremely different personalities.
I am extremely grateful that I was able to enroll in this spring class because I feel more open and aware of the struggles immigrants have to undergo. Now, I feel that I am empowered to make a difference. I plan to do so by staying involved in the AMIS mentoring program or finding another immigrant program to participate in throughout the summer. I have learned that my friend, Viviana, is just like me, a girl looking for support and success in her life ever-changing life.

No comments:

Post a Comment