Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Week 10-Jamie Nickell Learnings/Summary

Jenny and I, she never smiles in a picture but she IS happy to see me!
Through this course, I have learned that there is so much more to working with immigrant children and children of immigration than someone might expect. It takes time, patience, and hard work to want to gain trust and friendship from that person. I have had a lot of experience at AMIS so far and have come to truly learn more about myself in the process. I have learned that I have a strong desire to help children of immigration or immigrant children both and to learn more about them to help them gain a strong education and desire to pursue their goals.
I found Dr. Vaughn's book to be very useful for someone with very little history of immigration in children and factors that play a huge role to help understand them more.


Waiting in line for the pinata!
 I hope to take away from this experience the joy and interest that I have gained over the last couple weeks with working with these children. Since I have enjoyed this experience so much, I am continuing my relationship with Jenny through Cincinnati Youth Collaborative to be her mentor for at least 1 year. I am able to take her on small field trip experiences and even bring her to UC campus and let her get the feel of how real and possible it would be for her to go to college. I hope to stay in touch with her as long as I am able to, I think it is important for her to feel stabilty in life and have a friend who takes interest in her life and what she wants to do, someone she can talk to and depend on. With her being a recent immigrant her, it will hopefully help her family to see that it is possible for her to do anything she sets her mind to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment