Search This Blog

Monday, May 23, 2011

Cultural Perspectives on Health

I find interesting the point Vaughn makes in chapter  seven about various cultures' approaches to illness.  I have given thought to different societies' health care differences, but I have not previously considered different cultures' beliefs on illnesses themselves.  I suppose it makes sense, though, that less established nations foster more primitive beliefs on the human acquisition of illness.  I also find it interesting that eating disorders cross cultures frequently; I thought that was a condition made popular through American culture.

I also have not given much thought to the effects that cultural habits have on the general public's health, such as the European trend of smoking cigarettes, or the American trend of eating ultra-high-fat fast food.

I have always shared the belief with much of the Western world that sicknesses derive from the individual and his/her natural environment.  While I feel that Mexican culture encourages the opposite belief, Sara has spent much of her life in the urban United States and therefore generally follows Western beliefs.



Danger.


Sara has been texting me frequently since our last visit, hoping for me to come hang out with her at her house or back to school.  Her attachment may also be related to her immigrant status, having been uprooted and undergoing a dramatic move during her early developmental years that may cause her to cling to people that she fears may leave her.

Our last picture together;  Me helping Sara get up on the gymnastics bar at the AMIS playground

No comments:

Post a Comment