Search This Blog

Friday, May 27, 2011

Re-Thinking Immigration

Before taking this class, I think that I was pretty ignorant as to what immigrants to this country really experienced.  Sure I knew that they had a lot to deal with, but I didn't realize how much it could truly effect the kids in the families. That is why AMIS is such a great place. It is a place where the children can be themselves, and live out their own cultures that they are most familiar with. This is a place where they can learn lessons in their own language and feel comfortable doing so. It is important that the children stay true to their own cultures while also learning about other people's cultures as well. Igoa suggested a great idea that can keep immigrant children connected with their own cultures while also learning about other people's cultures. The idea is to do a presentation on each child's own country. This way, the child gets the satisfaction of being able to present information about their own culture, and the other students get to learn and better understand the background and cultures of their class mates.

Before I took this class, I did not really understand the struggles that immigrants may go through, especially immigrant children. I know now that many immigrant children are just like any other child and they enjoy doing the same things that all kids enjoy. Our country is built on immigrants traveling to this country to build success and try to create a better life. In order to fully understand the people in out country, I believe that everyone should re-think immigration so that people can understand the cultures that make up this country.
A picture I took in Chicago- a city built on Immigration

No comments:

Post a Comment