Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Week 10: Learnings & Summary/ Thelma Hodge


I learned that no matter, where a kid comes from, at the end of the day, he or she is still a kid! Leonel is the same age as my eldest daughter and the same age, I but their interest were different. Leonel was very interested in sports and my daughter likes movies and parties! Even though their interest were different, the homework, I helped them both with was exactly the same…lol!!! I learned that differences can be reconciled and friendships can be formed very easily, one trust is established. I loved how our relationship began to evolve, initially he was very quiet but by the end he was talking to me nonstop!
            I loved reading about the classroom experiences Dr. Igoa, described in her book. Honestly, I cried several times, while reading about Dennis (Qiu Lang), Cindy, and Rosario. Their bad experiences with school and teachers were so heartbreaking to read. I thought, many times, while reading, “Thank god they are able to tell how they were feeling, so teachers can help others!” I loved the pictures and the actual images of the filmstrips, in the text. I found the filmstrips to be little masterpieces, which were full of self disclosure and creativity!
            I want to remember how much fun I had while participating in the GAT, with Jamie and Melissa! I also want to remember all of the wonderful conversations and laughs, in which, Jonathon and I shared. I also want to remember, how much I looked forward to seeing Leonel every week and how sad I felt on the last day, when we parted ways.
            As I continue in the field of social work, I plan on always remembering the hardships facing immigrant children and families. In my professional work, I plan on becoming a strong advocate for immigrant children and families. I hate to see others struggle, when America has so many resources. I will never forget the time I have spent at AMIS and I plan on coming back to Leonel next fall and participating in the GAT (as a leader or assistant).
Thank you Dr. Vaughn for allowing me to have such a wonderful and long-lasting educational experience!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment