Search This Blog

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Week 7: Michelle Prinzo

The best part of fall: Bearcat Football!
SELF: I never thought I would become a football fan. Ten years ago I would "watch" football with my parents (aka Read while they watched the game) and complain about what a strange and pointless sport football was. In high school I went to every single football game. It wasn't until my senior year of high school that I actually saw more than five minutes of the game. Football in high school was a social event. As I entered my senior year of high school, I became better friends with a few people who were huge football fans. They wanted to watch the game, so I learned to watch. I asked questions until I figured out what was going on. Fast forward to my four years in college. I was a member of an organization called RallyCats, a spirit organization that is represented at almost single varsity game on campus (and quite a few away games). I became a fan-- a true fan. Football is not the most important thing in life, but I think it is a great example of how peer influences shaped my interests. I would even argue that this organization of peers, along with other experiences at this university has helped ingrain an important aspect of my identity--as a UC Bearcat. Today I was at a recognition ceremony that was closed by the singing of the Alma Mater. I sang the words to the song and it was automatic to do the "fountain" "tower" and "rock" motions. My mom next to me was laughing and I was very offended. Then it occurred to me...4 years ago, I was laughing at the motions too. Now, I embraced them. This is a strong illustration of how my peers and education have helped to formulate my identity.

OTHER: In the Vaughn text she states, "identities and styles of adaptation are powerfully linked to context and social mirroring (103). I believe this to be very true of my mentee. From our conversations and activities, she clearly has looked to her peers and popular culture to find interests and I would argue identity. In the picture below, you will see a drawing we created together. She had seen some of my doodles in a notebook and asked how I made them. This page is our practice together. I noticed that in her drawings with me she almost always draws something that she sees me draw or similar to something her peers have drawn. I would speculate that other aspects of her identity would be formulated through social mirroring--as it is for many children her age.

No comments:

Post a Comment