Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

Culture and Relationships


Our paper airplanes and finger claws

This past week I could see a definite mood change when it came to the mentees. The testing was over, and the school year is winding down, so the kids are a lot more relaxed and ready for classes to be out. That is why I think the kids had so much fun playing outside with us, just relaxing and having a chance to be kids. I feel that I saw a whole different side of my mentee Adama on Monday. The time started off like it normally did, me asking questions and him giving slow, one word responses. But then, when we went out side he began to open up. While trying to think of something fun to do I thought of making paper airplanes. So we had a contest on who could make the best plane and fly it the farthest. Of course it was super windy so they didn't really work, but doing this made me see how much fun Adama was having, and how he is just like a regular kid. After the airplanes Adama wanted to show me how to make "finger claws", he saw the video on YouTube, which i thought was pretty funny. After that, we went and played on the playground, and it was really great to see how Adama interacted with his friends. At that moment I did not even think about how he is an immigrant student, instead, he was just a regular 4th grader who wanted to play tag.


Adama

Being outside made me realize that these kids needs this social, relaxing time to just be kids. In our books that we are reading for class I have read about how important it is for immigrant children to make friends and socialize with people they can relate to. Many of these kids have a lot of responsibilities at home, so this is truly the only time they get to be kids. This is so important. I think AMIS is such a great place for these kids because the kids understand each other, and what they are all going through. They can socialize with other kids who get it, which in the long run bring them closer as friends.


In my life I understand how important socialization is. I think friends and having people to talk to is what makes a person complete. I think that culture helps bring together people who have common interests, however I don't think that culture is the only thing that brings people together. Coming to college I have become friends with people who come from different circumstances then me, but we  can still relate to each other and have a good time. I understand how culture and beliefs do bring people together, however I don't believe it is the main factor. I think the main factor is just to find people who understand and accept you for who you are, and that is why AMIS is such a great place for our mentees.

No comments:

Post a Comment