Search This Blog

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Week 3- Michael J Harrington

My mentee(s) and myself did not discuss prejudice.  But I can imagine the issues they face on a daily basis.  Statistically immigrants are discriminated against, often blamed for people losing jobs, for spreading bad morals and committing crimes.  Immigrants are more likely to work a dead end job or be arrested.  This will definitely be very detrimental to their lives.  I cannot even imagine how difficult it is to lie with such discrimination, being a white, middle-class, male.  But I do face a certain stigma, that although not as serious as the discrimination faced by immigrants, does make my life more difficult.  Many people think that my age makes me less responsible, or more likely to mess up with certain tasks.  But I am a very independent capable person.  For instance, I've been working as a lifeguard for the past few years at a pool called Fair Valley.  The manager they had hired the last few years was less than ideal, and oftentimes I had to take extra responsibilities to keep the facility operating well.  This year the manager and assistant manager were let go.  I was one of the candidates for manager, but despite being an employee there for several years and knowing most of the patrons personally, the board committee hired an outside manager with virtually no pool experience (none at the pool in question).  The man got it in part because he was "old enough to command authority" although I had basically been in charge of the pool for the past two years.  I did get the assistant manager position, however I have a feeling I will be doing the job of manager too, for the pay of assistant manager.  I am grateful for getting the assistant manager job, but slightly upset that I did not get manager for such a ridiculous reason.



Being born and raised in America I have some advantages over my mentee(s).  First of all I look like most of my peers, making me less likely to be discriminated against.  I also don't have an accent and speak the English language like a boss, making communication less cumbersome between me and other people.  I also grew up in this community, so I know the customs and rituals of the society, while they may be oblivious to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment