Search This Blog

Friday, April 15, 2011

Week 2: Immigrant Children


Meeting Leonel was a wonderful new experience for me. I knew before we met, that I was going to meet a person who has an interesting story to tell about how they came to America. Writer and teacher, C. Igoa, strongly believed that all children regardless of their age are individuals who have allot to express, whose thoughts need to be heard (1995, p. 5). I agree with Igoa, so I tried to convey warmth to Leonel, so he could  feel at ease and become comfortable to talk to me.
  Leonel was very open about his current life and his former life in Mexico. Leonel tenderly and fondly described his former life to me, in Mexico and his feelings of loss for his family, friends and school. Leonel not only shared his history with me but his ambitions for the future. He initially was quiet and a little reluctant to speak but after 15 minutes of me asking questions he gradually took over the entire conversation and began to talk about all of his interests. I was very inspired to hear him speak about his dreams of going to college and getting a good job.
Leonel told me that in Mexico, his family lived in a small house that had a big back yard. He missed his back yard in Mexico because that was where he and all of his friends would play soccer. Now he lives in a house that has no backyard and there is no place for him and his brother to play soccer so his father takes them to a local park so they can kick the ball around. Leonel also, expressed, that school is different in America form the one he attended to in Mexico. He said that that was very hard for him to adjust to the long school days and the longer academic year.
I am very different form Leonel in regards to immigration. I lived in the same on the same street for over 17 years of my life. My mother was definitely a “creature of habit” so leaving the country, let alone, the Pleasant Ridge area, was just out of the question.
On the other hand, Leonel, and I shared many similarities. He was very protective of his little brother and she shared with me many stories about how he has saved him from getting into trouble. I also had a baby brother, that I was responsible to look after, so I could relate, with him. Leonel also, loved learning and school, which, again was something that I enjoy also. Leonel also enjoyed being with his family and friends in his free time, which, is something, I love also.

1 comment:

  1. Themla,

    This is gold! I loved hearing about your experiences with Leonel. I'm impressed that you got so far in your conversation with him in just that first hour. Jadier and I will have to do a lot of chit-chatting to catch up to where you two already are!

    --Jonathan H.

    ReplyDelete