Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

What I have Learned

Adama
I really did not know what I was getting into when I first signed up for this class. I was not really sure what we would learn about, or if I would really learn anything at all. But after taking part in the classwork, and getting the chance to work at AMIS I realize just how much I did learn about the  lives of immigrant children. Before the first day at AMIS I wasn't really sure about this whole process. I figured I would be paired with a student who I would not be able to understand and even if I could understand them we would have nothing to talk about because I figured our lives were too different. I was so wrong. My mentee Adama was just like any other 4th grade boy I have ever babysat. He loved to play games, loved dinosaurs, and loved cartoons. I realized after the first few meetings that I had judged these kids before I even got the chance to get to know them. I think that a lot of people do this. But through this course I have learned that immigrant children may have so challenges in their lives that other people don't have to experience, but underneath it all they are just kids who want the same chances and want to have the same experiences as any other kid. I think this concept was the most important thing this class has taught me, not to judge other ways of life just because they are not familiar to me. I that if more people in the world learned this, things could be a lot better for a lot of people.
AMIS

I am really glad that I took this class and was able to meet the wonderful people at AMIS. I will take the concepts that I learned in this class with me when I myself become a teacher so that I can help all the students in my classes become very successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment