Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

learnings\Summary- Michael J Harrington

Any experience changes us, some for the better, some for the worst.  This experience made me a better person no doubt.  Mentoring the Joses helped me in many ways.  First of all I learned about other cultures.  I'm not normally around many foreign individuals, so it's weird for me to get used to having someone not speak English around me, and it was interesting to get their perspective on life.  Second, I learned about myself.  Sometimes you can only really see yourself in the eyes of others, and when Jose drew a picture of our time together I understood a little more about myself.  Third, I learned about children.  Children see the world in a new light, and it was very cool to hear what he thought about zoos and playing sports and moving in general.  My mentees have had experiences I've never had, and probably never will, but it was interesting to live through his eyes.

Something my mentee has seen that I haven't, a redwood.

I hope that I have changed my mentees too, and that they have learned something about American life or America in general from me.  And maybe learned some academics too, from all the homework we worked on together.  But all in all I know that I got something out of the experience, and can only hope that he did too.  Thanks for a great year and goodbye.

Me...and my roommate.

No comments:

Post a Comment