Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Week 7- Culture and Relationships- Dominique Lawson


Culture and Relationships

 Relationships are very important in life. For immigrant children they prove to be even more critical. "Cultural factors influence the types and expectations of friendships which can be cultivated within particular cultures," and "friendships may also serve a regulatory function so that children learn to modify behaviours to fit acceptable peer norms and ultimately cultural norms," (Vaughn, 113). With this said, immigrant children use friendships with peers to help them adjust to cultural norms and values. These relationships teach the immigrant children what is acceptable in school, on the playground, in in the world. Without a good peer relationship it becomes hard for an immigrant child to acculturate. 
The family relationship also becomes important. The immigrant child often takes on the role of interpreter for the parents because they are the first to learn the norms of the new culture because they are placed in a diverse environment for many hours a day almost immediately. 
I feel that a large part of the social support and in immigration emerges in schools. It comes from teachers and in our case, mentors. By being in the lives of immigrant children in the school we provide them good guidance in education and push them towards success in the new country. We also provide a stable go-to person that they can ask for help from and talk to if need me. I believe that being a mentor is a viable piece of success in education. I have enjoyed my time with Alina because she has taught me how to be a good model in life and in school by probing me with questions. 
When asked how she feels about me as a mentor she rated me a 10 on a scale of 1-10. She said that she wished she could rate higher than that. It warmed my heart because at times I wonder if I am making an impact on lives. I'm sad that our time is almost over.

No comments:

Post a Comment