Search This Blog

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Week 6:Intercultural Interactions/Thelma Hodge

            In all interactions with people, we must treat everyone with respect. When I meet people of different cultures, I smile, watch their body language and really listen. During my study aboard trip as a “sojourner”, I was able to meet and interact with people from Ireland, England, and Scotland. Indeed, I did visit only English speaking countries, but some American words meant different things in England, Ireland and Scotland, which created some confusion (for me) and laughter, on the part of the individual giving me directions, while abroad!
            Culture competence is defined as the ability to apply knowledge of your own and others’ culture (Vaugn, p. 105). I will admit that I’m not all culturally competent, as I would like to be. The fact of the matter is, I have not traveled to any non-English speaking countries, because I fear not being able to communicate effectively. The fear of not being able to communicate, would really hinder my cultural competency because I wouldn’t understand what others around me are trying to say or exactly what they are expecting of me. I would feel just as lost as Rosario and Dennis, were when they initially came to America, without knowing any English. It would be a traumatic culture shock. Dennis and Rosario both expressed to their former teacher, C. Igoa, how helpless they felt, when they were put into all English speaking classes. I would be just as helpless, if I had to travel to a region, where the majority of the population spoke a different language and very little English.
            I may not be an expert on cultural competency; but I do know, that I can learn fast. If I was to go to a non-English speaking country, I would be very mindful of the interactions, customs, cultural values around me and make myself open to all of that abundance of information circulating around me, so I could become better acquainted, and more culturally competent. I laugh and interact well with Leonel, because I listen to him and pick up things in the conversation that matter the most to him. I ask him to teach me words in Spanish or translate sentences; he has taught me many sayings and helped me learn the Spanish alphabet. I am learning to be a more culturally competent person, with the help of Leonel, which, is helping me become a better global citizen.

No comments:

Post a Comment