Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2011

Week Five: Cultural Practices

While reading Igoa's book, I found it hard to relate her message to Jose. While he was shy during our first meeting, he opened up a great deal upon my second visit and has remained sociable ever since. Therefore, I believe that Jose is a shy boy who approaches new situations with a little bit of caution, but is not in the silent stage. Since he has been here for seven years, it makes sense that he has fully, or at least partially, assimilated into our culture. In regards to cultural interactions and maintaing practices, Jose and his family retain a sense of his culture at home. Spanish is still spoken in the home and it seems as though Jose still identifies as culturally mexican.

[ERROR IN .JPG UPLOAD]

Culturally I consider myself American. While I do not have a strong ethnic background (my family identifies as "mutt") we participate in all of the activities that are associated with American culture. Superbowl Sunday is a house-wide holiday complete with wings, chips, and chili. Every memorial day we drive to our lake house to install our dock, put in our boat, and celebrate the start of the summer. Thanksgiving is always a feast and the Fourth of July is never without red, white and blue pyrotechnics. This is my family's culture and we embrace it.

[ERRO IN .JPG UPLOAD]

No comments:

Post a Comment