Search This Blog

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Week 5: Cultural Practices--Jamie Nickell

Ashton and I celebrating Halloween at the Zoo, 2010. Yes he is a dinosaur! He loves Dinosaur Train.
Since I have worked at AMIS as a tutor, I have noticed many different ways in which students relate to one another. Similar cultural practices, language, religious beliefs, etc. I find that bringing together students with similar beliefs, and also culture is a genius idea. These children share so many different aspects in common with one another. Things as drastic as even culture shock. In education however, having other peers whom you can talk with and share your feelings with that might have similar feelings helps to make transitions easier. "Culture wields a large effect on human behaviour within the context of teaching and learning and can make intercultural interactions in this context challenging." ( Vaughn 166) When there is a miscommunication between teaching and learning amongst the teachers and students, effective learning can be difficult. At AMIS, I feel that the school eliminates this altogether or at least as much as possible. There is an understanding between the teachers and students and communication between them is strong. Having personal experience on how hard miscommunication can be when teaching a child (i.e. my mentee Jenny) I can not imagine the struggles and challenges these students would have to face if they were to be broken up and mixed into Cincinnati Public Schools. The idea of taking away AMIS, and intertwining these students with the other schools is ridiculous.


Personally, in my home, celebrating our culture is very important. Around the holidays the families get together and spend time with each other celebrating that particular holiday. I find that incorporating culture into our everyday lives is critical as Ashton is growing up. Teaching him about our culture, beliefs, religion and so on helps him to have an understanding of his background and where he comes from. Even though he is only 3 1/2 years old now, he will understand and appreciate it later as grows up. It is important for everyone to experience culture, whether it be their own or someone else's. My mentee, Jenny and I teach each other about our beliefs and keep open minds to what the other one likes. I have recently been trying to teach myself Spanish to help incorporate her culture and language into my own. Also, I am going to be her mentor through Cincinnati Youth Collaborative to guide her through her schools years and help her grow accustom to culture here in America while also learning about her families beliefs and culture from Honduras.

No comments:

Post a Comment