Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

Week Two: Introductions (Hamilton)


My mentee is named Jose. Currently a nine-year-old third-grader who attends AMIS, Jose moved to Cincinnati from Mexico with his family seven years ago and does not remember much about his time there. Most of his family still lives in Mexico, and he told me it has been hard not seeing many of his relatives. Jose didn’t talk much, but I did learn that his grandmother had passed away last October, and that he remembers his mom crying all day. A relatively shy kid, I attempted to get more than one-word answers and silent gestures from him. Eventually I learned which subjects he enjoyed most and which teachers he liked. We also talked about his interests outside of school; Jose loves to swim and snowboard, and medieval army combat computer games are his favorite.  I hope to get Jose out of his shell more in the coming weeks, and cannot wait to see him again.


In third grade, my mind was always wandering. I could never focus on one thing for long, and was eventually tested for ADD. While I do not have ADD, I do feel as though I can relate to kids who have trouble focusing, and noticed that Jose’s mind was constantly wandering. He watched children on the other side of the room constantly and had to ask me to repeat questions often. In that sense I can see that Jose and I are a lot alike. At his age, however, I loved school and was always excited to learn. I drew all the time and loved art, but Jose doesn’t care for the subject at all. Beyond surface similarities and differences, it seems as though Jose and I are actually a lot alike. His immigration experience did not seem to affect him much and he spoke English perfectly. Culturally, he also seemed completely American. I hope that he will continue to open up and allow me to see some of the cultural hardships that he experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment