Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Week 5- Cultural Practices; Maureen Rooney

     Personally, I see AMIS as a school that teaches immigrant children from many different areas of the world. Therefore, even though I have not sat in on a class, I believe that the students personal interactions with each other would be very interesting to observe. 
      AMIS is a place that uses the technique of “treating all students equally and incorporating them into the same classroom” even with people who are different than them (Vaughn, 168). Even though all of the students are immigrants or “children of immigrants”, they come from different backgrounds and lifestyles. They are all unique. It is for this reason that I believe watching them learn in a school setting would be very interesting. Some students may be shy and intimidated by the teacher so they would not ask questions but instead they would listen silently. While others, I feel, would be more personal and forward, asking questions and raising their hand in class. 
      Viviana is from Mexico. She has been very straight-forward and close with me from the first day I met her. Viviana constantly asks me questions and participates in conversation. I have assumed that this is partly a result from her culture. Even though she does not live in Mexico anymore, her parents most likely interact in the same manner as they did in their home country. As a result, Viviana has most likely acquired many of their demeanors.

 




          I believe that I have picked up many characteristics that are apart of my culture too. My parents, which have a great influence on me, are extremely outgoing and direct. Likewise, I like to ask questions and hear a straight answer. In grade school, the teachers would always count on me to answer questions and participate when no one else would. I believe that I follow the “preocedural knowledge” mindset because I usually think “knowledge [is] gleaned from using reason verses feeling (Vaughn 171). 
Outside of the classroom, I enjoy meeting new people. Typically, I always introduce myself with a hug; I enjoy the personal interaction. I feel that others may think this action as too forward. However, in my family, hugging and showing our emotions is normal and expected. Also, while my family can be proper at times, we also can be informal at times. We like to joke and tease each other. As stated, “informal cultures there is [a] greater likelihood of spontaneous humour and joking” which correlates with my family (Vaughn 163). I have also been told that I like to talk a lot and many members in my family do too. At times we “talk at the same time, elaborating and adding onto another’s incomplete statement […] and don’t have much silence” in our conversations (Vaughn 163). I believe I also acquired this trait from my parents because they also like to often communicate with others. My personal interactions in and outside of school can result the type of culture and environment that I was raised in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment